Chicory and Cocoa Rubbed Wagyu Rib Eye with Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
New Orleans inspired chicory and cocoa rubbed Wagyu rib eye steak with red skin mashed potatoes, chicory gravy, and a roasted rutabaga succotash.
- 6 Wagyu rib eye steaks
- Chicory and cocoa spice rub (see recipe)
- 2 lbs. Lamb’s Supreme® Red Skin mashed potatoes (M22) prepared as directed, keep hot
- Creamy chicory coffee sauce (see recipe)
- Succotash (see recipe)
- Chicory and Cocoa Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Blend all ingredients
- Creamy Chicory Coffee Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons chicory powder
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- Combine cream, cocoa, chicory and espresso powder in a medium bowl and whisk until powder is dissolved; set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir to combine. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, and let cook undisturbed until amber in color, about 5 minutes. Immediately add butter and stir to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cream mixture and salt until smooth. Allow to cool and pour into bottles for service.
- Roasted Rutabaga Succotash:
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 10 ounces roasted rutabaga
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- chiffonade of parsley for garnish
- Place all ingredients except okra and parsley, in large saucepan, bring to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. Add okra; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Steak Prep: Preheat grill to medium high heat Remove steaks from refrigerator approximately 30 minutes before grilling Rub steaks with chicory and cocoa spice blend Place steaks on grill 2-3 minutes on each side or (internal temp 130-140F) Take off grill and let rest 5 minutes. Plate Assembly: Place Wagyu steak on plate accompanied by serving of succotash and red mashed potatoes. Drizzled creamy chicory sauce over steak and red skinned mashed potatoes. Garnish succotash with chiffonade of parsley.